Saturday, January 21, 2012

Belly's Wednesday Wine & Food Pairings


The second backlogged post, from 19 October, originally:

This young series, still in its infancy, nearly came to a screeching halt this week. After picking up a bottle of sumptuous Barefoot Riesling ($6.99, from California and the winner of the 2009 Impact Hot Brand Award), I returned home and opened the refrigerator, only to be confronted with a landscape whose barrenness and desolation matched that of my own soul. Simultaneously, I felt a vacancy in my stomach, the profundity of which recalled the blank stares of the students I had left so recently. So, I dug into my backpack and, voilà, nourishment: A chocolate mint Builder's Bar. How can one go wrong with a bottle of wine and 20 grams of protein, molded efficiently into bar form?


Well, this would be one way to do it; to go wrong, that is. The impression left on the palate can be compared to eating a York Peppermint Patty, then washing it down with Pixie Sticks; two things that are delightful separately, but borderline poison together. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this pairing very highly. Still, I rank it ever so slightly above sobriety and starvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment