Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Belly's Best Music of 2012: At the Quarter Pole




At the end of 2011, I compiled a list of my favorite records released in that year. It consisted of 13 albums. This year, I feel as if I've been inundated with very good music at a much greater rate; though perhaps my unemployment is responsible for this impression, as it has given me more time to keep abreast of new developments. Accordingly, as we round the quarter pole of 2012, 14 albums have thus far caused me to take note. Faithful readers will not be surprised by the heavy concentration of electronic music. Additionally, female musicians and vocalists, often possessing a retrospective bent, feature prominently. However, lest I be accused of sexism, I should point out that one of my favorite albums on the list - Tanlines' Mixed Emotions - was made by a pair of dudes. In any case, hopefully my abundance of free time, resulting in this aggregation of tunes, will allow the more harried to find something they like without searching too exhaustively. Finally, please note that the selections are listed simply in alphabetical order and numbered only for clarity. Have at it, after the jump.





1. Blondes, Blondes

This album occupies the realm between dance party and acid trip, a place in which I wish I spent more time. Check out Hater:


2. Burial, Kindred EP
Burial is held in extremely high esteem, as he is one of the originators of the influential dubstep genre. Personally, I previously found his music good, but never understood what all the fuss was about. (Admittedly, I was late to the party and did not come upon his previous albums until at least a couple years after their original releases.) This EP changed that generally positive ambivalence into powerful enthusiasm. Each track is no less than a harrowing journey, taking the listener to multiple different places - some very dark, some touchingly beautiful - in the course of its unfolding; more so than many albums, to be honest. I've featured Ashtray Wasp previously, so have a listen to the title track:


3. Fort Romeau, Kingdoms
La Roux's keyboardist makes a solo album of nocturnal, sexy house music. Here's I Need U:


4. Frankie Rose, Interstellar
This album makes me think of the times during my  childhood when I was riding around in the car with my mom, listening to the oldies station, and secretly liking what I heard quite a bit. 


5. John Talabot, Fin
Expertly constructed dance music that somehow makes you want to jump, throw your hands in the air, and curl up protectively in a corner in the fetal position simultaneously. Destiny is a great cut from this album:


6. Julia Holter, Ekstasis
Another nearly indescribable gem from Ms. Holter. This album should prove much more accessible than her last, as its songs follow more traditional structures. However, the music remains difficult to categorize beyond vague adjectives such as beautiful, affecting, angelic, winsome, contemplative, ethereal... I could go on, but you should probably just listen to it.

7. Lana Del Ray, Born to Die


8. Lindstrom, Six Cups of Rebel

This is out there, but in a good way. I'm pretty sure dude is Scandinavian: They're weird, if you didn't know; they have universal healthcare and crazy shit like that.

9. Matthew Dear, Headcage EP
Apparently a precursor to a full-length album out later this year, Headcage stands on its own. Matthew Dear is clearly pushing himself to an even greater level of sophistication and subtlety than he achieved on his incredible 2010 album, Black City

10. Nite Jewel, One Second of Love
At certain moments reminiscent of Stevie Nicks, Nite Jewel takes an incontestably pleasurable, somewhat skewed approach to pop music. More than somewhat skewed is this video:

11. Scuba, Personality
Euro dance music from the 90s, but completely self-aware: Ridiculous, aggressive, and nihilistic in its optimism.


12. Tanlines, Mixed Emotions
Incredibly solid album; strong grooves and danceable, but with a nice dash of melancholy as well.

13. Todd Terje, Its the Arps EP
Straightforwardly fun, playful nu-disco.

14. VCMG, Ssss
Vince Clark and Martin Gore (hence VCMG), originally members of Depeche Mode (however, Clark left after one album and formed Yazoo), have created an album of assertive, deliberate, no-nonsense European techno. Great for working out, or pretty much whatever.

Amuse-toi.

No comments:

Post a Comment