Friday, February 24, 2012

Playlist for Drinking Alone on One's Birthday

Despite the title, I assure you I'm not seeking sympathy with this post (though, if you're offering, I might take just a little...). Honestly, I've had incredible birthdays the past couple years when nearly all the best lads on the eastern seaboard descended on me for joyous weekends of carefree frolicking (easy, not like that). It was much more than I deserved and I'm incredibly grateful to have such wonderful friends; it would be selfish to ask for more (but if you guys are coming to surprise me, that doesn't mean you should scrap your plans or anything). So, in that magnanimous spirit, I thought I'd give a little something back, rather than my usual taking. Unfortunately, I don't have much; hence, I offer music. 

Contrary to the melancholy title, I would characterize this playlist as a smooth, pleasurable listen, with enough bounce and variety to keep things interesting and fun, though I must admit that it does end in a somewhat wistful, doleful (but hopefully not unpleasant) manner. All in all, it's not unlike myself: smooth, pleasurable (that's gross, sorry), interesting, fun... well, maybe not, on second thought. But the end is, at least. Wistful, doleful, hopefully not unpleasant: Yes, that's more like it. In any case, whether alone or with others, raise a mug of the sweetest white wine you can find and enjoy. (Playlist after the jump...)



John Talabot, Oro y Sangre
Kick things off with a scream.

Parallels, Ultralight
Pretty singer [swoon].

Neon Indian, Psychic Chasms (Anoraak Remix)
You might get high listening to this song.

Matthew Dear (feat. Johnny Pierce), In the Middle (I Met You There)
Slight comedown here, but the swirling colors remain. At least they do for me. Maybe I should see someone about that.

Lindstrom, Quiet Place to Live
I thought that's what I wanted.

Crystal Castles, Black Panther (Story of Isaac Remix)
There was a time when I would have swooned over Ms. Glass' captivating appearance (and talent!), but she kind of scared me the last time I saw them in concert.

Blondes, Wine
See if you can spot me in this video! (Sorry, but that dead horse wasn't going to beat itself. Plus, I have yet to not laugh whenever I get to that part. Maybe it's still funny?)

Tycho, Dive
Mmmm.

Fred Falke, 808 PM at the Beach
Mmhmm.

Maria Minerva, A Love So Strong
Mm, mm, mmmm.

D'Angelo, Jonz In My Bonz
Fun Fact about Belly: D'Angelo has been my only consistent musical mainstay in the past decade.

Keep Shelly in Athens, Cremona Memories
As someone with a deep love of classical antiquity and an inability to support myself financially, I think Greece might be the place for me.

Lana Del Ray, Off to the Races
[Swoon.] 

CFCF, It Was Never Meant to Be This Way (Games Remix)
No, I didn't pick this one just because of the title. Listen if you don't believe me: It's a good song.

Com Truise, VHS Sex
Oozing, slimy, grimy synth.

Burial, Ashtray Wasp
This one's a bit dark, if you're unfamiliar, but I suppose that could be gathered from the artist's moniker. Still, a hell of a track.

Chromatics, Running Up That Hill
Wrapping up, poignantly.

Yaz(oo), Only You
What's your cut off point?




No comments:

Post a Comment