Sunday, February 26, 2012

Keep It On The Down Low

Recently, I posted a playlist on the occasion of my (sort of) birthday. It consisted of newer, fashionable music, for the most part. However, I must admit that I wasn't always so hip. I started to develop an awareness of popular culture in the early 1990s and, in all honesty, I was conflicted from the very start. How could one not be? I was supposed to be developing into a man (a traditionally masculine one, that is), yet I was being bombarded by some of the most affecting, sensitive ballads of our time. On the one hand, I tried to act tough by professing a preference for hard rock and hip-hop; but then I would flip on MTV and get misty-eyed watching the videos you see below. I hated that I loved these songs; it embarrassed me thoroughly. But, looking back, I think my instincts were right and I'm now prepared to admit my affinities, which I've kept on the down low all these years. Who's with me? (Songs after the jump...)


George Michael, Freedom (1990)
Ironically, I would assert that this video was a big contributor in the construction of my nominally heterosexual identity.

Mariah Carey, Fantasy (1995)
Rollerblades and rollercoasters: Did we honestly used to do that stuff? 

Janet Jackson, Together Again (1997)
I'm trying to imagine what's going through the head of that falcon at the beginning. 

Shakira, Whenever, Wherever (2001)
Self explanatory. 

Whitney Houston, How Will I Know (1985)
Bit of pandering here. Still, an amazing track; and an essential influence for many of the other artists on this list.

Ace of Base, Don't Turn Around (1994)
I was in middle school when this song came out, and back then I absolutely would not have admitted to liking it, even under torture. But now... meh, I've got nothing to lose.

Paula Abdul, Rush, Rush (1991)
Was this the death of subtlety: "No one else has touched me so deep, so deep, so deep insiiiiiiide..."? Well, to be fair, that line was a lot more subtle than Keanu's performance.

Toni Braxton, Un-Break My Heart (1996)
Oh my goodness: Ms. Braxton, you deserve that orchestra that comes in at the end. But is the shot of the dude doing tai-chi really necessary? Yes, he is remarkably fit, that's true. Okay, I'm convinced, it was necessary. 

Robin Thicke, Lost Without You (2006)
This is a more recent jam, but my man does his thing here for real. Hopefully he beats that pot charge that just got laid on him.

Jennifer Lopez, Waiting for Tonight (1999)
If this song doesn't make you want to throw your hands up and get down, then I don't even want to know you.

Mariah Carey, Always Be My Baby (1996)
Real talk: In this video, Mariah is probably the most beautiful woman in the world - while wearing 2/3 of a Canadian tuxedo. That's quite a feat.
[An addendum, added 3/3/12: I was watching this again and I just noticed that little brother takes a second to put on a Kangol before sneaking out of his bunk. For some reason, I find that delightful.]

Roxette, Listen to Your Heart (1988)
How great would it have been to be at that concert? Another question: Why build a building with no roof or ceilings? Only in Europe... and America, if Obama has his way.

R. Kelly, Down Low (1995)
From whence the title of this playlist came. In a decade of expertly manufactured melodrama, Kells did that ish like no other.

PS: Many of these videos are on VEVO Youtube channels, which is annoying. Especially when they are trying to shove some garbage called LMFAO down your throats. I apologize for subjecting you to that, dear readers, and hope that you can look past the dreck of contemporary culture and bask in the glow of an idyllic past. As for LMFAO, I have an abbreviation for them: EYL. I just made it up; it stands for: "End Your Life," k?

No comments:

Post a Comment